Director of Knowledge Hub – People and Operations
The main purpose of the role is to lead one of our new knowledge and expertise hubs, specialising in how People and Operations Management is effectively delivered across government. This hub will build expertise in all aspects of managing government operations (with people issues being a particular focus) and use this to inform our wider work. The successful candidate will lead a core hub team supporting a wider network of financial and value for money audit teams across the NAO; build expertise networks externally with government and wider expert communities; develop and share knowledge and methodologies; contribute directly to our work when required; and build expertise among our talented and enthusiastic colleagues.
- Leading the core People & Operations Management Knowledge Hub team, as a centre of expertise and knowledge to support our work examining government spending, performance and programmes
- Developing a network or community of practice across the NAO to help draw together and develop insights and knowledge about People & Operations Management across government
- Building external networks and plans for engagement with expert communities in government and other sectors
- Supporting and contributing directly to our audit work in relevant areas, developing methodologies and helping to match expertise and work opportunities
- Contributing to and leading knowledge development
- Help us have positive impact when we communicate our knowledge across government and key stakeholders
- Supporting the learning and development of our people through shaping our training offer, supporting personal development plans and involving them in identifying good practice
- Be a credible and effective thought leader both in and outside of the organisation
- Lead effective hiring, on-boarding, management, and development of core team members as required, and contribute to wider NAO recruitment and development
- Build effective working relationships across the NAO financial and value for money audit teams and our corporate services
- Be an effective team leader and coach, and motivate professional development across a wide network as well as through direct line management role
Knowledge Sharing / Documentation
- Develop a valued centre of expertise in the organisation that supports our aim of making better use of our knowledge
- Solicit feedback from users to continually improve and communicate knowledge-sharing success regularly to influence priorities and future development
- Coordinate our training and stakeholder engagement with external communities of experts, and develop the NAO’s credibility externally through our work, networks and knowledge development
- Provide support for others using knowledge management processes and systems within the NAO and explore solutions to resolve problems and build capability
Relationships and accountabilities
Reports to: Abdool Kara, Executive Director
Internal relationships: Heads of specialist hubs/functions, knowledge function, client-facing audit teams, service line leads for value for money and financial audit, external communications and Parliamentary relations.
External relationships: External knowledge experts within government, e.g. within government specialist functions, and in external sector organisations, e.g. CIPD, RICS
Staff resources managed: Small standing team of permanent staff, but drawing in people from across the office on a project basis (most staff are likely to be involved directly or indirectly with one of the Knowledge Hubs).
Budgetary resources managed: To be determined.