DVLA is seeking a Non-Executive Director (NED) to join its Board.
The successful candidate, through their membership of the Board, which is an advisory board, will provide challenge and support to the DVLA Executive Team. They will play a vital role in the effective strategic and operational leadership of the DVLA. The NEDs provide guidance, experience, opinion and governance scrutiny, and support the Chief Executive Officer to deliver DVLA’s strategic and business plans.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- prepare for and make an effective contribution to the DVLA Board and executive/NED meetings
- be able to dedicate time to stakeholder engagement and specific projects within DVLA
- maintain appropriate links to the DfT as part of effectively discharging the duties and responsibilities of an NED
- work proactively with the Board and objectively with government to:
- provide sound advice to the Chair and Chief Executive
- provide strong and constructive challenge to the executive team to ensure that policy delivery follows strategic direction
- collectively ensure that decisions made by the Board follow proper procedures and are supported by sufficient high-quality information
- support the Executive Team in discharging their leadership responsibilities to the DVLA
- ensure high standards of corporate governance and financial management and control are observed at all times
- work closely with, and hold to account, the executive team for delivery of the Agency’s Business Plan and budget
- build strong relationships with DVLA Board colleagues.
The post is based in Swansea, but the role may require occasional visits to other locations across Great Britain, and to DfT headquarters in London. The DVLA board work hard to build a strong team ethos, so some overnight stays will be required to give time for the team to come together outside of the formal monthly Board meeting.