The successful candidates will possess a good appreciation of the role of a Non-Executive Director, and they will understand and be committed to the pivotal role that the Board plays in the effective and efficient delivery of DVLA services.
They will clearly demonstrate independence of judgement and an ability to communicate with impact to provide constructive support and challenge.
Applications are welcomed from all candidates who can evidence the essential criteria below:
- Experience of working at Board level, commanding the confidence of stakeholders, including fellow Board members.
- Ability to challenge the DVLA to ensure that it is a truly customer focused organisation, based on proven experience in delivering excellent customer service to external customers.
- Experience and knowledge of effective governance at a senior level in complex organisations in the private/public/voluntary sectors.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to challenge effectively and constructively.
- The ability to lead and successfully deliver change: experience of leading change in a complex transformational digital environment using new technologies.
- Understanding and experience of IT leadership in an organisation of a similar scale.
- Ability to make sound, open, and impartial decisions and to employ complex problem solving, analysis and evaluation skills.
- A solid commitment to high ethical standards of integrity and honesty, and an understanding of the value and importance of the Seven Principles of Public Life.
- Demonstrable interest in the work of the DVLA and the challenges it faces.
- Strong track record of confidently engaging and working with senior stakeholders.
Desirable: In addition to the essential skills above, knowledge, understanding or experience of the following would be beneficial:
- Understanding of the car industry and potential for change in this sector due to technological advances.
- Experience as a Non-Executive Director.
- Understanding and experience of operational leadership and Human Resources management and leadership.
All candidates will be required to demonstrate in their written applications and at interview how they meet the requirements of the post. You must give examples in your application showing how in previous activity you have demonstrated each of the requirements.