We are looking for a Trustee who can serve as the lead on Financial oversight and Chair USPG’s Finance and Audit Committee
They will need Board level experience of handling substantial financial issues. Such experience could have been gained through a variety of backgrounds and career paths; what is essential is a capability to taking a leading role in USPG’s financial direction, working closely with USPG’s Director, Finance and Resources, its Chair and its General Secretary. USPG has an endowment of some £50 million, whose professional management requires appropriate supervision, and two significant closed pension schemes.
Trustees have responsibilities under charity law as members of the governing body of USPG. Collectively the trustees are responsible for agreeing USPG’s strategy, for overseeing its affairs and the good stewardship of its finances & resources, for monitoring, reviewing and evaluating its work, and for overseeing good governance throughout its activities. In addition to these, you will have a particular responsibility in relation:
- To providing effective financial oversight, consideration of management accounts, audit and risk reviews and proper investment of the Society’s funds.
- To maximising the value secured from the financial resources available to carry out the work of the Society.
- To ensuring provision of adequate insurance to protect the Society against liability.
- To approving and monitoring the Society’s programmes and services, participating fully in budget and audit review processes.
- At least five meetings of the Board each year, of which two will be residential, one during USPG ‘s annual Conference (48 hours) when there is a meeting of the USPG Council
- Five meetings of the Finance and Audit Committee
- Two meetings of the Pensions Committee
- A willingness to be involved in appropriate public events of the Society
- Appropriate oversight, support, and scrutiny of the Financial and compliance aspects of USPG’s work and a close working relationship with the Chair of the Board; the Chief Executive/General Secretary; the Director of Finance and Resources, the Trustee board; staff and volunteers.