Job title – Chief People Officer (CPO)
Directorate – People
Reporting to – Chief Executive Officer
Direct reports – Head of Talent, People Business Partner, People Operations Manager
Key relationships – Strong, productive relationships across the organisation are essential for success.
Salary – circa £120,000
The Chief People Officer is a critical role in Genomic England Ltd’s (GEL’s ) ongoing transformation and will drive the strategic people and internal engagement agenda as well as accelerate the review and ongoing development of innovative, inclusive and scalable HR systems and processes that support people to perform at their best.
As postholder, you will provide strategic and operational advice and expertise to the CEO and executive team while leading and coaching a small, committed People team.
A key member of the executive team, you will be accountable for leading GEL’s people and culture agenda. Specifically you will deliver progressive HR and OD strategies and practices to continually increase the organisational capability to deliver our mission.
As a business leader within the organisation, it is imperative that you embody the values of the organisation, acting as an ambassador who can engage, attract, and retain the very best people.
Strategy and development
- Design and deliver a comprehensive people strategy in line with GEL’s overall strategy and business plan – covering the full “life cycle” of talent, from identification, recruitment, onboarding, training and development, performance reviews and career paths (even alumni).
- Lean in to shape and spearhead execution of the strategy, leading on structural change and role modelling new ways of working.
- As part of the people strategy, develop a compelling employee value proposition and employer brand in a highly competitive space.
- Contribute to GEL’s overall strategy and delivery by advising and challenging the Board and Executive Leadership Team on people and organisational development issues, leading the people and culture agenda for the organisation.
- As a prominent member of the Executive Leadership Team at GEL, support the CEO and colleagues to role model and champion leadership integrity and our organisational virtues.
- Facilitate leadership development and coaching, supporting business leaders to be at their best as people leaders and ambassadors of a values-based culture.
- Lead and develop the people team so that it is recognised and valued for its excellence in business partnering and operational delivery.
- Get to know the teams and individuals at GEL personally; act as a “quiet confidante” for sensitive people matters, whether formally or informally.
- Understand the meaning behind our virtues of Speed, Empathy, Curiosity, Integrity, Focus, Impact and Connection and embody them in all aspects of your role. Use our virtues to guide decisions – whether big or small, and also as a pragmatic compass to guide the behaviour of the team.
- Work with colleagues in finance and performance to ensure coherent workforce planning that balances the needs of operational teams with the constraints of budget limits
- Ensure succession plans are in place for critical roles, working with operational team leads
- Lean in to ensure delivery of complex and high-profile people related matters including Board and Executive Team recruitment and development and any significant arising people issues.
Systems, management information and administration
- Lead the design, implementation and evolution of cutting-edge HR systems and evidence-based operational services and processes. (Note, we have recently adopted HiBob and SmartRecruiters and will shortly be implementing Adobe Captivate).
Gather insights (formally and informally) from colleagues and in people data to shape the workplace environment and an engaged culture.
We’re pleased to offer our colleagues a great benefits package including:
- Competitive salary.
- 30 days holiday.
- Generous pension scheme.
- Individual learning budgets for every colleague.
- A raft of other benefits.